Friday, June 24, 2011

Thrifted!: Hand-embroidered flowers. With love from Taiwan.

I love dressing up. On any average day, it’s unlikely that you’ll find me in sweats. I don’t typically head out (or stay in) in a t-shirt. And I never, never wear shorts. Long story. (We all have our body-image issues, right? ‘Nuff said.)


That being said, I’m no girly girl. I’m not into ruffles, or puffy shoulders, or lacy edgings. Flowery feminine flourishes aren’t really my style. But when I noticed a big, bright bouquet of fuzzy flowers on a sweater at my local thrift store, I stopped. I swear that sweater was pointing and giggling at me. I just had to point and giggle back.


Perhaps it’s a bit too flowery; a bit too feminine. But to me, it’s hand-embroidered happiness. And I just can’t say no to wearing that!


Flowersweater2


Flowersweater3


Flowersweater4


Flowersweater5


Flowersweater1


Ah, yes. A good thrift.


Next on my thrifting list: sweatshirts. Lots of them. I’ve been told I’ll be sharing a few of my sweatshirt refashions from ReSew on the PBS show Sew It All. I’ve got some major sweatshirt shredding to do before taping time come October. Get ready, rotary cutter.


Happy weekend—thanks for letting me share one of my favorite thrifts with you!



6 comments:

  1. So cute! Find me one next time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep--if I find another one, it's yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful find! Congratulations on the show in the fall! You will rock those sweatshirts, I'm sure!
    Please be sure to let us know the particulars - I want to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jacque--enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a girly type either, but the flowers really work the way you are wearing it. It is the type of thing to wear with 'boy' stuff for that cool contrast/ contradiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool that you wrote a book about upcyling. Makes me want to make way to my studio for some sewing fun

    ReplyDelete