Sunday, June 26, 2011

a wildcards tutorial: the t-skirt

I’ve been playing around with the idea of morphing a t-shirt and skirt into one piece for a while now. I finally tried it. This is the result:

I’ve hung on to this skirt for several years. I love the print but the skirt just didn’t fit me quite right after Jack was born. Bummer. I saved it hoping my body would return to its former shape. No luck.
This turned out to be a pretty easy project. If you’d like to know how it was done, read on!

The T-Skirt Tutorial
Here’s what you’ll need:


One lightweight, elastic-waist skirt. Make sure it fits comfortably around your chest and you can take it on and off over your head.


Mine has thin elastic around the waist.


One form-fitting t-shirt. This one has a bit of spandex in it.

You’ll also need thread to match your t-shirt and your skirt. (You might need one more t-shirt to get the job done. Or not. Keep reading, and then decide.)

And that’s all you need.


Put on the t-shirt; then put the skirt on over it, right where you want it to rest around your chest. Safety pin the front; ask a family member or friend to help you safety pin the back. (If you’ve never met your neighbors, now’s a great time to break the ice.)

I am digging the photo above. I never look busty.


Remove the shirt/skirt and pin well so the layers don’t shift. You can make the job easier by placing a large rotary ruler or a book in between the layers (see next photo).

Note: I inherited a “gross” of safety pins from my mom years ago. Sometimes I just want to use them so I can justify keeping them. How much is a gross, anyway? A
LOT. Anyway, in the step above, regular straight pins would have worked just fine.


Use thread that matches your skirt to sew around the bodice, following the existing stitching lines on the skirt waistband. My skirt had two lines of stitching, and I sewed along both of them.

At this point you can either 1) turn the piece inside out and cut away the length of the t-shirt to about 1/2" away from the seam you just sewed, or 2) leave it as is and wear your t-skirt with the full shirt underneath. I had planned to cut away the shirt length, but when I tried the piece on the spandex held in my two-baby stretch a bit. So I kept the entire t-shirt intact.

If you cut away the t-shirt length, congratulations—you have fabric to embellish your t-skirt. If you decide to leave the shirt intact, you’ll need to round up another t-shirt for embellishment. I chose this one:



Now, lets add a few details.

There are lots of ways to embellish with the t-shirt fabric or with any skirt fabric you’d like to cut from the length. This was my initial sketch of the project:


I decided that although I like this sketched design in theory, I wasn’t sure I would end up wearing it. So I changed my mind. Be sure to change yours too, if you like. But here’s exactly what I ended up doing.



Just below the skirt’s elastic waist, I sewed a 1" band of t-shirt fabric around the chest. I cut two 1"-wide strips from the width of the t-shirt—one about 1/2" longer than the skirt front, and one about 1/2" longer than the skirt back. No need to measure; just cut strips from the t-shirt, lay them across the front/back widths of the skirt, and cut the strips at least 1/2" longer than that.

Pin the back strip to the back of the skirt. Using a 1/8" seam, sew along the top of the strip. Repeat along the bottom of the strip. The strip should reach past the side seams of your skirt by about 1/4". Pin and sew the front strip to the front of the skirt in the same manner, overlapping and sewing over the back strip at beginning and end.


Sew a tight zigzag stitch to connect the front and back pieces together.

When I tried on the piece again I decided the skirt was a bit too long for me, so I cut away 1 1/2" in length from the bottom. To do that, I measured 1 1/2" from the bottom hem all around the skirt, making dots with a washable marker every two inches or so; then I cut along the dots with scissors. I tried it on and liked the length better.

I added a thick, doubled black border to the bottom of my t-skirt. I cut two 4"-wide strips from the width of the t-shirt—one 1/2" longer than the skirt front, and one 1/2" longer than the skirt back. Again, no need to measure; just cut strips from the t-shirt, lay them across the front/back widths of the skirt, and cut the strips at least 1/2" longer than that. Press the strips in half lengthwise, wrong sides together, and then unfold.


With right sides together, align and pin one long edge of the border along the back of the skirt; sew using a 1/4" seam. Repeat to attach the front border to the front of the skirt, overlapping and sewing over the back border at beginning and end. Press the seam toward the bottom of the skirt.



It should end up looking sort of like this on the outside.


Pin the short sides of the two overlapping borders together, making sure the seam you pin is perpendicular to the border seam you just sewed. Use a tight zigzag stitch to connect the short edges of the borders. Clip any overlapping fabric on the wrong side to 1/4", if needed.

Fold the border to the wrong side of the skirt, using the fold you pressed in earlier as a guide; pin. Change the thread on your machine to match the skirt. Sew the border layer to the bottom of the skirt using a 1/8" seam.



When you’re done, it should look like this on the wrong side of the skirt.


This is how it should look on the outside.

Now, I know I’m not model material. (Reason one: I’m 39. Reason two: I wear glasses. There are more reasons, but I’ll stop at the main two.) At the same time, I love to sew things to wear. When I see what others have sewn to wear, I really like to see the project on a body; it helps me envision what it might look like on me if I make it. I think others who sew might like that too. So, a bit uncomfortably, I asked Bretty to take some pictures of me in my t-skirt.



I wanted to try different backgrounds to get the best picture, so we took pictures in three different places. After a while, I started to get self-conscious. I asked Bretty for inspiration.



Me: “Bretty, I don’t know what to do with my hands.”

Brett: “I dunno. Just do something else. Look in the pot. Imagine that you love the pot.”

Me: “Okay.”

I look down into the pot.


Me: “Oooh, I love the pot!”

Click.


And that’s the end of my t-skirt story.

There are many variations for playing around with this basic idea—as many as there are skirts and t-shirts! If you make one, I would love to see it. You can upload your photos here.

Hope you enjoyed your visit here. For more refashions you can check out my book ReSew. Thanks for stopping by!

56 comments:

  1. Well, this is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvelous job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I love how you added the stripe and hem contrast. Perhaps I will try one like this. I love how it flows like a tunic from above the bustline.
    You are a creative genius!
    And it is a nice pot too, he, he, hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and I would love to feature this on my blog if that's okay with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just too darn adorable! I love it! Thanks for sharing how you made it, I am inspired to make my own.
    And, you look adorable yourself...definately no reason for you to shy away from the camera! You have true beauty, not 'model, air-brushed, starved-nearly-to-death, covered in 2 inches of make-up beauty'. (which is really rather gross anyways....models don't look real or healthy). You are wonderful...and when you are 70 you are going to wonder why you didn't get your picture taken when you were in your 30's, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It IS a lovely pot, isn't it? :)
    Thank you so much for the kind words, and for the offer to feature;
    happy day to you, Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ("Ooh, I love that pot!") Giggle!
    I don't care if you are 30 something and wear glasses (all of us cool chicks do). I think you rock that outfit! Very creative - love it!
    Thanks for a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun Jenny! You make it really doable too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Amy! You know, you're pretty good at making things doable
    too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, that is so true. Nowadays I wish I had more pictures of
    myself as a teenager... you know, in a swimsuit. :) Thanks for such
    kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy to hear it! I love the idea of using your talents
    toward a good purpose. Good luck to you--and would love to hear any
    advice YOU might gather along the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How serendipitous. I was just playing with a pile of thrifted skirts trying to figure out how to restyle them into something useful. Then I come check facebook and find your post via Craft Magazine. I will totally be trying this!
    And what a great idea to leave a spandex tee in place. Easier than fooling with one of those "foundation garments."
    I will totally post my pix when I get something finished!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is just what I need to conquer my pile of skirts that don't fit! thanks for the tute :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great idea and adding the trim gave this a finished look. i see cute skirts or at least skirts with cute fabric in thrift stores all the time and this would certainly be a way to make them wearable. Tunic length makes it all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so funny - "I love the pot!" Thanks for showing us how the t-skirt looks - it really does help to see a real live version on a real live body, you're right! This is a brilliant idea, and I love how you explain things and are brave enough to change things as you go (I still need to learn that!). Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this "t-skirt" (and the skirt itself, too). fabulous. thanks for this inspiring tutorial.
    best wishes, doro K.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how fab! I've got a very similar skirt in green and a few vest tops that have lost some shape around the belly - they'd be perfect combined in this way!
    I really feel your love for that pot.
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really fun idea for reuse! Remember sweatshirt dresses of yore? They were made from two sweat shirts. This could be the new iteration that sweeps the fun fashion world! I have some long skirts that I want to try this idea with to make kick-around dresses. If I get around to it and it works, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You clever lady! I never would have thought of this! I'm always making shirts into skirts, but not the other way around!!! I've got to try this!!! Thank you so much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Clever! I have skirts that I bought because I love the fabric, but never wear because I just never wear skirts, but live in jeans instead.
    You've given me a great idea how to convert them into tops so I actually wear them.
    Thanks for a great tutorial, your other tutorials are really clear too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable! It looks so cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the great idea and easy-to-follow tutorial! Mine turned out super comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sometimes I thrift skirts just for the fabric as well, whether or
    not they fit me. I just can't resist unusual fabrics. They must be
    mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is fantastic. And your photos look great. I really understand about the photos, I am 52 and am self-conscious about modeling my refashions but there is no one else. Besides, it is great to see 'real people' and how they look in their creations.
    I have subscribed to your blog. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ha ha, I would love that pot even more if it had a plant in it. :)
    Would love to see that green skirt refashion if you decide to sew it
    up! Thanks for popping in.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Checked your t-skirt out on your site--it looks great! Beautiful
    skirt. I'm glad the tute worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Funny you should mention sweatshirt dresses... I'm working on a
    sweatshirt skirt right now! Fun, this strange little refashion
    world. Yes, would love to see what you come up with if you try out
    the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. ok 1) your skirt/shirt is awesome!
    and 2)you are farking hilarious!!
    I loved this!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic idea and you look really adorable. Will be pinning this on my pinterest board!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for this - found it via Craft Magazine and made my own at the weekend! Pic here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25876493@N06/5900877069/in/photostream
    I added a tie at the waist to give some shape, as I'm quite a curvy lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. love this! i saw it on all free sewing, but now i'm going to check out the rest of your blog. :) lisa

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your t-skirt is SO fantastic! I love the addition of the belt. And
    your glasses. :) You just put joy in my day; thank you so much for
    sending your link. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ha ha ha! How nice to hear someone gets themy attempts at funny. My
    husband just doesn't get my brand of funny; love that someone out
    there does. Farking-a. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you! Very kind of you to pin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. thanks .very easy & nice

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are a hip chick! I dig your groovy ideas. They are right-on! You are happenin'
    Far out!
    May All Being Know Peace,
    Kathleen-Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  36. I could not have said it myself Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love, love, love this idea. What a great fashion, refashion of something that meant so much to you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you so much, Tiffany! I was so glad to be able to keep the
    skirt in the closet rotation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oooo very nice :D I think I can use this in the project I'm working on for my girl :D thanks for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great idea! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Jenny,
    I bought your book "Resew"....but, didn't recognize your name until I looked at the Blog to see the resewn T-skirt directions. Your ideas are sew clever and the instructions are very clear and concise. Thanks for being my inspiration.
    Marilyn in San Antonio, TX
    strain.marilyn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great Idea! I'm going to look up my old skirts and try this.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great Idea! I've been trying to think of a way to re-use a tshirt that has gotten too short to wear as is. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is so cute and so are you! I've been thinking of doing something like this (t-shirt + fabric) but had no idea how to go about it. Thank you so much for sharing this! I love the attention to detail with the borders and want to do that, too. :D Yaaaay!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I don't sew but I caught this on pinterest and was drawn in. After reading your post I think I could do this. If I need help I will run it past my daughter as she is way better at sewing. Thanks for the lovely tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  46. BTW a gross is 12 dozen or 144. I really liked your new T-Skirt. I recycle T-Shirts into quilts, and teach sewing, but I had not thought about how to reuse the skirts into shirts. I am going to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is great. And I really, really LIKE your skirt (fabric); it looks great with the black t-shirt. Thanks for the idea. Now I need to find a skirt I like, preferably in the same colors as yours (I'm a pink/red babe), at the Salvation Army or Goodwill and I can make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a great idea!!! I am not a fantastic sewer but think i can do this and am going to try it! And there is nothing wrong with the way you look,your beautiful just the way you are :) Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful idea with us :) I can't wait to try this! Bet you get a lot of compliments on this original Tshirt/skirt top.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks so much for this tutorial. I've got a skirt a bit like yours, that I simply wear as a tank top during summer, but I might use your idea, because it seems more finished. You can see pictures of mine on my blog : http://sewingpot.blogspot.fr/2012/08/sans-couture-une-jupe-en-top-no-sewing.html. I added one of your pictures and a link to this page. See you !

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great job! I've played around similarly with tank tops and flared skirts! Your sewn skirt looks very classy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Fantastic. Did you get around to doing a sweatshirt dress? I dont have any dresses with sleeves, short or long. I have only just started doing "off pattern" work and this looks like a fantastic next project.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  52. ha ha ha your story is hilarious!
    i came by for the tutorial, but you are a riot! just had to tell you thanks for making my day brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  53. That was very cute thanks the end made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I am so inspired! This style, I think, is just adorable, and trendy, and just right over a pair of jeggings. Thanks for being brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete