Monday, June 13, 2011

My life. In hair.

In the past few weeks I've seen several posts on blogs I follow about new haircuts. Those posts reminded me of something:


Hey, I was gonna do that.


According to the date on my photo scans, I was planning to document my hair history back in 2009.


Got a new haircut last week.


Pixie1See?


Somehow it feels like the right time to use the photos I so meticulously scanned two years ago. Otherwise, it'd be an awful waste of computer memory.


With that, I give you my personal history. In hair. Mine is a journey filled with innocence and simplicity. With rebellion, lies, and deceit. With dangerous chemical abuse. With dozens and dozens of cases of cheap hairspray. (Seriously, cheap stuff only, please. I need it to work like glue.).


Here goes the long and short--and long and short, and long and short--of it. You'll see what I mean.


Exhibit A: The innocent years. With and without perms.


Hair01 Kindergarten. There are a few photos of
myself that I love. This is one of them.


Hair02Shortly thereafter, we find Dorothy Hamill in her
living room sorting Girl Scout cookies
.


During my growing years, I begin to notice that genetics are going to assure me a lifetime of arrow-straight locks. Thin and limp? Envision a chewed-up piece of bubble gum stretched between two lamp posts. In an attempt to battle nature--and with mom's help--I try a perm. At home.


Yes. You know what I’m talking about. It’s the DO-NOT-TRY-THIS-AT-HOME home perm.


Hair-3-4-5 That's my sister Melainie in both shots above, and my old friend Cathy.
I love the bottom photo. Magically, with a home perm I can become
almost as handsome as my brother-in-law. We’re practically twins!


Luckily, home perms fall out of my hair as quickly as a toddler falls out of a tantrum when you give him a sucker.


And anyway, perms are out. Even though they were never in. Fancy feathering becomes all the rage.


Hair-6-7-8I would've had the hippest hair around…


Teen-idols  ... if I had been a boy.
photo photo photo


At some point during my teen years, I decided to take hair matters into my own hands.


Exhibit B: The rebellious years. With and without bleach.


Hair09
Perhaps I worked on this ‘do above just for the photo; perhaps I was on my way to school. It’s hard to know for sure. At the time, I would try anything. Except dyeing my hair.


I wanted to dye my hair so very badly. But mom wouldn’t let me. So secretly, I started “dyeing” my own hair. With bleach. Just a secret spritz every morning from a trial-size spray bottle.


Hair011 I’m sure my mom never noticed.

Hair012If mom ever said anything about my hair, I was planning to
blame it on these guys--my high-school buddies.
I mean, look at the hair here. Major peer pressure.


Now that I'm looking closely at the photo of my friends, I guess perms were in.


Somehow, my hair survived those years. It didn’t fall out, and I don’t think the bleach gave me cancer or anything. Yet.


Exhibit C: The college years. With and without politics.


Hair013 Arm-wrestling a mannequin at the Utah Shakespeare Festival.


Above: early college. Major: education. When I cried the first time I taught a class because an 8-year-old called me a name, I decided teaching wasn’t for me.

Hair014
Above: late college. Major: women’s studies. And the hair to prove it.

Exhibit D: The get-a-job years. Where the growing gets tough.


Hair016Our first year in Seattle. Slowly leaving the pixie cut behind.


Hair017Still short at my first Quilt Market as a copywriter
for Martingale & Company, but growing.


Three years later, we moved back to Utah. Hair can grow a lot in three years. I was growing it long for one reason. An impending wedding.


Hair021Sometimes I wore my hair down. (I like this picture of
me. I like this picture of Bretty even more.)


Hair-22-23-24
More often than not, though, I wore my hair up. No patience for fussing and flyaways. (Flanked by my gorgeous, now all-grown-up niece and nephew, top right. Both valedictorians and full-ride scholarshippers, yo! Okay, I'm braggin'.)


Hair026Aaah, the wedding day. Long hair, curled
and flowing. As much as my hair can curl and flow.


Wedding’s done. Long hair, be gone! Or . . . not.


Exhibit E: The baby years. A hairdentity crisis.


Hair027In the time of baby Jack. Short.


Hair029In the time of toddler Jack. Medium. (This scarf was featured
in
Quilts and More magazine; pattern here.)


Hair028 Another perm? Really, Jenny, you should know better.


Hair030In the time of growing Charlie. Long.


Oh my goodness, I was so very pregnant.


It is so very nice to not be pregnant.


Hair031In the time of kid Jack, toddler Charlie. Short again.


Hair032These photos were taken for ReSew by a
wonderful photographer out of Southern Utah, Juanita B.


I've pretty much worn the haircut above for the past two years. Until last week.


So that brings us back to present-day hair. What a long, confusing, indecisive journey it has been. But rather than confusing and indecisive, I prefer to call it "creative." Yes. A creative journey.


That's my hair story. And I'm sticking to it.


The other day, my sweet husband--who has always leaned toward liking long hair on me--said of my new haircut, "You look so cute. You look great with short hair. Yeah, keep the short hair."


Between the two of us, it's decided. Welcome back, pixie!


At least, for now.


Pixie2



17 comments:

  1. Giggle! We all have a trail of "hair-rowing" photos (sorry, I could not help the bad pun, it just slipped out) if we are brave enough to show them! Enjoyed your journey, and agree with your hubby! You rock the pixie cut! My DD has one, too, and cuts it herself...some people just really look good in those short cuts! Me, not so much! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are adorable no matter what the cut.
    Holy Toledo, Jack in drag! That is him as you in the kindergarten photo! Wow!
    Melainie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jenny...I have laughed throughout your post! You are beautiful no matter what your hair looks like.
    Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your hair!! You look gorgeous! Loved looking at the old pics...will have to share this with my parents. ;)
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the haircut. Love the journey you took me on with your pictures. I also wore the Dorothy Hamill haircut and even tried perming it. You are awesome and brave. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! It's sassy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so that's what you look like, LOL! I went through all that, too. My hair is poker straight. Try rag curls for 3 days and straight hair when they were taken out. My dyeing days started with bright magenta red. I loved it and it really turned heads (giggle). Now I am silver (natural) and have a really short man's cut that I spike. I love it! Nothing to do but gel it and it's done. Short hair is so much easier!
    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the new 'do! It is seriously adorable. And for the record, guys always prefer long hair. What is that? They don't have to deal with it. Well, I guess they do have to look at it, but you know what I mean.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos. I think we went to same stylist for some of those ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hillarious! I had totally forgotten about home perms and dying hair with bleach. I can't believe we used to do that!?
    Love the new hair cut :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The haircut is great, and best of all--soooooooooooooo easy!!! Just got mine cut short, short, short once again. See you in August.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this. I was gifted with thin, limp hair and rocked many a perm myself. I love the pixie cut - looks wonderful - and best of all, quick. :) You look fabulous.
    I,however, am still on the path to finding my hair identity. . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a difficult path to walk. And usually not a good idea to take
    the road less traveled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, you! My cut reminds me of yours, and I've always liked your
    hair. We may come down south in August; up for lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it short, you are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is hilarious! you're making me want to go through and document my hair too... :) lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just discovered your blog, so I've been scrolling through and catching up but I had to stop and comment on this post. How brave you are, to document your hair journey! While I'm not as brave as you, I will say that for many years, I had hair like your high school friends seated at the table. (And I also did the perm thing. Yiiikes.)

    ReplyDelete