Thursday, June 2, 2011

the makings of many little monsters

I have a monster story to share. (Don't worry. Not scary.)


Since announcing the goals of this humanitarian group a few weeks back, I’ve received many emails from people about the endeavor. Some wrote to share their own experiences with similar undertakings. Some suggested easy projects that could be made in multiples. Some offered help in making items with their own hands. One is even sending dozens of books all the way from Pennsylvania to help fill our welcome bags (thank you again, Liri!). And some just dropped a note to say they think we are doing a good thing.


For those of you who have reached out, you know who you are. Thank you, YOU!


One friend of mine sent me a pattern, offering to make several of these projects if I thought they would be a good fit for the welcome bags. The project is simple. It is economical. And it is adorable. So after telling her yes please!, I had to make one too.


Mabel Meet Mabel. The Positive Attitude Monster.


This fun monster sewing pattern comes from Rebecca Danger. She’s a knitter by passion and author of the Big Book of Knitted Monsters. I imagine she created this sewn monster design, Max the Monster, for her fans who don’t knit. (Or for her fans who don’t knit well. Like me.) The pattern offers three monster sizes (just one fat quarter needed for the littlest), along with scores of possibilities for personal touches. I chose to hand-embroider around the heart and added extra-large perle cotton eyes.


Heart Whenever I see that wonky red heart and that gentle grin, I get a happy little charge. So lately, she’s been following us around the house. In her happy-little-charge fashion, she’s been encouraging us all the while.


Drawers
Guitar
Laundry
Painting
Legos Superhero She’s just a sweet, upbeat kind of gal. Rubs off on ya.


(I think she needs hair... agree?)


In addition to simple, economical, and adorable, I can also add addictive to the cast of supporting words for this little sewing project. I’m already making space in my sewing room for the impending monster metropolis. For the humanitarian project, of course. But each family member will own a Mabel of their own soon. Even the awesome painter.


I just can’t help myself.


Do-your-bestYou bet I will, Mabel. You bet I will!



4 comments:

  1. I didn't know Bret painted! But then again... not surprised. You all have a healthy helping of creativity in your house... one of the main reasons I love your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little monster is so cute! Hope things are going well with the project.
    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the lil monster! I can just see one of those peeking out of the bags you are going to deliver! Those will definitely bring a smile to some little faces!

    ReplyDelete