Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sewing with sons

Well, sewing with one son. The other son is too busy to bother, with his daily lessons on sleeping and pooping and all.



I thought I'd have to wait quite a few more years before I could sew with Jack, but with a simple idea from a fantastic new book called The Creative Family by Amanda Soule, he's on his way. Check out his first stitches--and his astonishing concentration:





Sewing_1
If the thread comes out the BACK, put the needle through the BACK.





Sewing_2






If the thread comes out the FRONT, put the needle through the FRONT.





Sewing_3_2






My boy--the next rock star with needle and thread.





Sewing_4
Charlie, soaking up the sewing vibe.





Jack_sewing
The finished piece.



After borrowing a purse of mine to haul special belongings (like superhero figures, doctor's rubber gloves, and nail clippers), Jack decided he would like me to turn his stitchery into a purse for his loot. When Daddy heard the news, he had only one request:



"Don't call it a purse. Call it a man bag."



Jack, sew on. Purse, man bag, tote, whatever. My son is sewing. SEW ON!



4 comments:

  1. Jenny, that is SO cool. What's next: a co-authored (or at least co-designed) book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Jack! That is a great idea - thanks for posting your boys - Charlie looks super comfy there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is so wonderful! I can't wait for Willa to be able to do this.
    She would try to eat the needle. She's too busy learning how to cruise/walk. "Sitting is for babies", seems to be her mantry right now.
    I am excited to see what Jack will make next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great , love the little one laying there too !

    ReplyDelete