Friday, July 1, 2011

sewing it: the denim sheet quilt

Denimquilt1
Quilting is a huge industry today. I think it’s like, B-B-Billions of dollars big. But when it was just a start-up, it was practiced pretty much out of necessity. Little bits of leftover fabrics sewn together to warm bodies.


The origin of quiltmaking is, somehow, insanely romantic to me.


The quilters of yesteryear probably wouldn't be very happy with me about the romanticism. I’m quite certain they wouldn’t describe it that way. But I’ve read lots about American quiltmaking history. It’s fascinating. For me, the whole idea for making the very first quilt could be pared down to this little rhyme:


Use it up, wear it out
make it do, or do without.


I’m not sure who originally said this. I googled it and came across pages about getting the last of your lipstick out of the tube, raiding the fridge instead of eating out, and fixing a broken strap on a mary jane with a heavy needle and fishing line. All 21st-century ways of living the old adage.


Good on you, 21st-century people.


I guess I’m just in love with the idea of getting creative. Instead of running out to buy something you want or need, you find a way to make what you want or need using what you already have.  


That said, I’m starting up a new quilt. Putting that old saying to use. One striped sheet and four pairs of denim jeans. To start.


I wanted to make one block design to repeat throughout the quilt in an interesting way. This is what I came up with.


Wallpaperborderblock1It’s inspired by a wallpaper border I spotted, sitting rolled up on a shelf at a dollar store years ago. I remember sketching what I remembered of the design later that day in the car. My memory of it was, well, sketchy.


Let’s just say it was a mistake not to spend the dollar.


Anyway, I’m calling it the “Wallpaper Border” block. Certainly not as inventive a name as “Monkey Wrench” or “Nonsuch” or “True Lover’s Knot” or “Arabic Lattice” or “Devil’s Puzzle,” but it’ll do for now. After all, I’m just at the beginning.


When I get the blocks completed, the inevitable question pops up: how to set them?


Setting1I like the simplicity of this setting.


Setting2I think this would turn into a bunch of letter H's. So, probably not.


Setting3Rows like this could be a bit of a mind boggler, but maybe in a good way.


Setting4How about pairing two different ideas? Hmmm…


Setting5On point?


Setting6Maybe a weaved, lattice-y look?


Setting7Oooh. Me likey.


I haven’t made a quilt in a while. I forgot how fun it is. It's also quite maddening.


Any setting you like best? Or perhaps you have a smarter suggestion for a block name (please)? I’m all ears.


Setting8Ah, yes. Quilting. Very romantic indeed.



10 comments:

  1. Can I say: Love! Love, love love it! You're fantastic, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like the one where you had the caption..."me likee"!! LOL I really think that will look great. Love the "lattice" one, too. Fun to see you explore the options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never quilted, so a novice question: are the little denim shapes finished off at the edges? If so, how? And if not, do you mind them fraying?
    Thank you thank you for showing all the design possibilities. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jacque... are you a quilter too? I'm so excited to be trying something again. All the different possibilities really are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, the edges aren't finished. I sewed a 1/8" seam around all
    inside and outside edges. When the whole thing is pieced and quilted
    and bound, I'll throw it in the washer and dryer. When it comes out
    it will be a completely different quilt. I've worked with raw-edge
    denim before in my "Flowers
    at Your Feet" tutorial and there's just something about the
    fluffy edges that I love. Wish me luck that it comes out the dryer
    looking good, huh? :)
    Just browsed through your blog; your "what I wore today" drawings
    are INCREDIBLE. Ever thought of doing a step-by-step on how to draw
    human figures? You are so good at it. Drawing doesn't come to me
    naturally. Sigh. Where you live is gorgeous too. I'm so glad you
    dropped by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are all fabulous! (but i agree with "me likey!") :) lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for "Oooh, me likey". Gives you room for some creative quilting in the center of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great point! I was thinking of doing the hand
    quilting without a hoop thing that Tonya Ricucci does... looks
    really fun. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow they are so fantastic and artistic Amazing art work done =)

    ReplyDelete