Wednesday, February 25, 2009

ALERT: Jackspeak

Time. It is such an important part of our lives. Seconds, minutes, hours. Days, weeks, months, years. Past, present, future. Yesterday, today, tomorrow. I had no idea how much we all rely on time to get through our days. Then I tried to teach the concepts of time to a four-year old. It is not easy.

Jack: "Mom, Luke invited me to his birthday party!"

Me: "Oooh, that sounds like fun. Do you know when it is?"

"Yes. It's the day before . . . no, it's the day after and before this day."

"Huh?"

"And then it's after that day. No, wait. It's the day after the middle day. Look mom, LOOK."

Jack holds up three fingers on his right hand. He points to his middle finger with his left hand.

"It's on THIS day, this day."

"Oh. I see."

"Yep. That's the day! I can't wait."

"I bet. I hope we can make it."



1 comment:

  1. my little ones are the same way - it's fun to watch their brains work! I've gotten to where I don't tell them about some things until the day of, or it's all they are talking about for weeks! survival of my sanity :)

    ReplyDelete