Monday, January 12, 2009

ALERT: Jackspeak

Jack, Charlie, and I sit down at the kitchen table for lunch. As I aim a spoonful of mashed bananas toward Charlie's mouth, his energetic hands bat it away. Bananas fling onto the floor, the chair, and Charlie's hand.


Me: "Oh good heavens, Charlie."


Jack: "What does good heavens mean?"


"Well, it's just an expression to use when you're surprised, and maybe a little bit annoyed. Like oh my heck, or holy moly."


"Or holy crap?"


In a matter of miliseconds, I review the five W's to carefully weigh my answer:


WHO did he hear that expression from?
WHAT is the proper definition of "crap"?
WHEN is it a good time to accept that your son is going to say "holy crap!" on a regular basis? (The parenting books don't say.)
WHERE is a sponge so I can clean up this sticky mess?

And finally . . .

WHY are you making such a big deal out of this? Holy crap, Jenny.


"Yes, exactly like holy crap. It's just an expression."



4 comments:

  1. Gosh darn it. Where did he hear that? Ha!
    I am looking forward to hearing him say "Holy Crap" when we come later this morning.
    Melainie

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun times! it's amazing how sponge like they are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always look forward to your Jackspeak posts. When Madeleine was around 16 mo. old, I overheard "oh gah-dumit"-yikes! Holy crap is much better...and you can bet I cleaned up my language! Sheesh, now she's 16 YEARS old and I still have to remind her to watch her language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! My two year old recently started saying "What the heck!"

    ReplyDelete