Sunday, September 28, 2008

Baby Quilt Friday!: Flying Frogs

Back to Baby Quilt Friday. On a Sunday. And I totally skipped last Friday. How 'bout that? Anyhoo, it's time for a closer look at another quilt from The Little Box of Baby Quilts. Way past time. Perhaps it's time for me to change the title of these posts to "Baby Quilt Day." Comments?


This week is all about "Flying Frogs," a quilt that I have been told is a favorite by many. It's one of my favorites, too. Everyone in the family gets to choose one quilt to keep, and husband Brett has decided that this one is his. Might have something to do with the story that goes along with the quilt...


Flying Frogs 
From The Little Box of Baby Quilts, copyright 2007 Jenny Wilding Cardon/That Patchwork Place. Machine quilted by Cheryl Brown.


After finding these fun pink, orange, yellow, and green fabrics at Quilt Quilt Quilt, a wonderful shop in Sandy, Utah, I got the idea for a froggy quilt with Flying Geese blocks. I had plenty of green to finish the quilt but ran short of the other colors in a hurry, mostly because I sewed a full set of Flying Geese blocks before deciding I needed to change the color order. Whoops.


Jack was just a babe then, and the shop was a 40-minute drive away. But my husband worked near the shop. I gave him some swatches and asked him to pick up more fabric for me on the way home from work. Ever-dutiful husband of a quilter, he agreed to the plan.


Brett called me on his way home from the quilt shop. "They ran out of that fabric," he said. My gut clenched tight. "No way," I whined. "There was plenty of fabric just two days ago on the bolts! Are you sure? Did they say anything to you about the swatches?"


"Yep," Brett told me. "They said a clown convention was in town. They came in and bought up all that fabric you wanted. Like, for their costumes or something."


A clown convention? A CLOWN convention? What the hey? What were the odds? I had no idea clowns had conventions. I was devastated. I had a deadline. I had half a quilt made. I had a chip on my shoulder. Why was this happening to me???


Thirty minutes later I heard the garage door opening. Brett came into the kitchen, a sly smile on his face and a bulging bag of fabric in his hand.


OH.


"So, there wasn't a clown convention?" I asked.


"Nope," said my sneak of a husband. "I can't believe you believed me."


I was humiliated. I was mad. But, lucky for him, I was more thrilled and relieved.


And so goes my life with a prankster. He used to call my sister pretending to be a salesman with a foreign accent of unknown origin, pressuring her to buy paper and blank videotapes. She caught on to his act much more quickly than I ever have, so he had to retire his foreign-salesman routine. I, however, never learn. He's been "keeping it real" like that for 14 years now. Real silly.


Love that silly man of mine. And that's why this quilt will remain forever his. Although he certainly does not deserve it. Stinker.


You can view more quilts from the "little box" here, watch a video about it here, and read more about each quilt here.


Next week--which is actually, technically now this week--is all about "Training Wheels," a quilt for monster-trunk-loving little ones. Hope to see you back here then!



3 comments:

  1. Sounds like something my husband would do! Very fun quilt - and the colors are great! Keep it Friday - it works . . . whichever day you end up posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one and if you used red instead of pink it would be very boy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the foreign salesman routine. I could use some black videotape if they are real cheap.
    This is one of my favorite quilts too. So friendly.
    Melainie

    ReplyDelete