Friday, July 25, 2008

Baby Quilt Friday!: Fuzzy Wuzzy Hearts

Here's another baby quilt from my book (but actually, it's a box), The Little Box of Baby Quilts. It's the second quilt I made in the collection of 20. It's called "Fuzzy Wuzzy Hearts" because . . . well, I won't state the obvious:

Fuzzy Wuzzy Hearts

From The Little Box of Baby Quilts, copyright 2007 Jenny Wilding Cardon/
That Patchwork Place. Machine quilted by Cheryl Brown.

I even saved the original sketch for this one:

 Fuzzy Wuzzy Hearts sketch

Colored pencils just weren't loud enough to mimic the fabric I wanted to use...

When I was dreaming up ideas for 20 baby quilts, I made a list of baby-themed motifs for possible use. Hearts were at the tippity-top of my list. And I thought these plaid homespun flannels were perfect for baby's eyes, as little ones are always drawn to and delighted by bright colors. I layered three heart shapes in different colors, sewed them to a background fabric raw-edge style, and then cut away different pieces of different layers. When I threw the quilt in the washer/dryer to fray the raw edges, the homespun fabric fluffed up in such a fantastic way. A delight for little hands, too!

The technique used to make this quilt is one of my favorites. It's simple and straightforward. I love opening up the dryer at the very end of frayed-edge quilting adventures for the big surprise. Haven't been disappointed yet.

Right now this quilt is on display at Macon Sewing Center in Macon, Georgia, as part of a trunk show. She'll be home at the end of the month. She is promised to no one right now. And so starts the hunt for a good home for her. My goal is to get all of the quilts from the "little box" matched up with babies who love them, or with charities that can use them. One by one, the quilts are ending up where they should. I wonder where this one will land...

You can view more quilts from the "little box" here, watch a video about it here, and read more about the quilts here.

Next Friday I'll introduce you to a simple squares-and-rectangles quilt called "Fast Asleep on Cloud Nine," which uses only two fabrics. Another really quick one. See you back here next Friday!



3 comments:

  1. This is such a colorful quilt. How did you get to be so smart about what little ones like? How can I get smart like you?
    Next week's quilt is Willa's quilt. I just love it, it reminds me of Ocean Haven in Oregon. Peaceful and relaxing.
    Melainie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun - I love seeing the how, and hearing some of the why :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all, I wish I was as good as you! haha

    ReplyDelete