Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Holy Handmade Batman Hat!



Batman1
Pattern drafting begins . . .





Batman2
Signature bat ears are firmly attached . . .





Batman3
Oh dear, oh dear . . . what happened here?



Aside from a bit of sewing in high school, this is my first attempt at designing something that doesn't have straight seams. It was going so well! The eyes were cut to the perfect size, and the bottom of the mask fit snugly around Jack's head. Then I decided to sew a zigzag stitch around the eye holes and the bottom of the mask so it wouldn't rip. Everything s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d. With it on, my son now strongly resembles Dumb Donald from Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. With bat ears.



I can't tell Jack the mask I stitched makes him look like Dumb Donald. Because when he first peered into the bathroom mirror through those ENORMOUS eye holes, he beamed.



"Mommy, take my mask off," Jack said. I lifted the mask off his head by the ears. "I'm Bruce Wayne!" he chirped. "Now put it back on." I fitted the mask back on his head. "Now I'm BATMAN!" We repeated the off-and-on ritual six more times.



So, Jack likes the mask. Horribly handmade? Yep. But you gotta admit that with those big black ears, he won't be mistaken for anyone other than Batman.



Or Dumb Donald as Batman.





4 comments:

  1. I wonder if Willa might want a Wonder Woman costume later.....how am I gonna make that work?
    I love the mask, it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course it's perfect--look at that smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an awesome mask!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem, you should see some of my historical costume attempts.
    I've seen Fat Albert but I still had to ask who Dumb Donald is. The thing I remember about him (besides his face being covered) is that he spoke unintelligibly.

    ReplyDelete